Are you sabotaging bedtime (or nap time) and you don’t even know it? While some foods are natural sleep-inducers, others can keep sleep at bay. Here are some of the worst offenders – the top foods to avoid for better sleep.
1. Chocolate. This sweet treat (especially the dark variety) is a sneaky source of caffeine.
2. Ice Cream. Some studies have found that eating high-sugar foods before bed can lead to nightmares, so have your desserts long before bedtime.
3. Celery. These simple stalks are a healthy snack for the afternoon, but celery before bed can lead to late night bathroom needs. (It’s a natural diuretic.)
4, 5 & 6. Broccoli, Cabbage & Cauliflower. Again, great for an afternoon snack, but not so much before bed. Why? The high fiber content promotes gas.
7. Pasta. Most pastas have a high glycemic index, which means they’ll play with your blood-sugar levels, potentially delaying sleep and cause night-waking.
8. Cereal. A quick bowl of cereal might seem like the perfect, easy bedtime snack, but cereals often contain high amounts of sugar and refined carbs. Both of these offenders put your blood-sugar levels on a roller coaster ride making it more difficult to sleep soundly.
9. Red Meat. Protein is difficult for your body to digest and will keep your insides working hard long after you’ve laid down. Ideally, your inner systems should be quiet and calm to achieve a nice, deep sleep.
10. Pizza. Similar to red meat, heavy and greasy food is difficult to digest and keeps you from finding peaceful slumber.
What should you eat to promote better sleep? Click-through to read our list of the best bedtime snacks.