“Be sure to taste your words before you spit them out.” Wise words from an anonymous sage and everyone should heed them – especially when you’re talking to a pregnant woman. Every woman who’s been pregnant has her own unique memories of these kinds of moments and while the comments may have made us sad or mad at the time, usually we can laugh in retrospect. Today we’re laughing – sometimes that’s all you can do. What are people thinking?? A better question is probably “why don’t people stop and think” – because these are things you should NEVER say to a pregnant woman.
- You’re as big as a house.
- Are you sure you’re not having twins?
- You’re so much bigger than the last time I saw you!
- How much weight have you gained?
- Have you thought about how you’re going to lose that baby weight?
(Are you seeing a pattern here? NEVER mention how big a pregnant woman is. Or how small. Just don’t.)
- Was it planned?
- Be happy you only have morning sickness. It was much worse for me.
- You can’t eat/drink that!
- I had a friend whose friend whose neighbor had a baby with [insert horrible complication here]. I hope you don’t have to go through anything like that!
- Whoa! Are you eating again already?
- “Do you know who the father is?”
- [Insert baby name]? That’s an…..interesting choice.
- You have to go pee again?
- Aren’t you a bit old for having kids?
- OMG! I had [insert weird ailment or physiological side effect] and it was CRAZY! Do you have anything like that?
- Are you sure your due date is right? You look like you’re about to burst!
- Anything involving the word “episiotomy.”
- Anything involving the horrors of your labor and delivery.
- Any unsolicited advice.
Anything sound familiar? Anything we missed? Let us know in the comments – we’d love to hear your story!