Up, down and all across the US it’s been hot, hot, hot! Your body has an ideal ambient temperature for sleep (between 65 and 75 degrees), and when it’s hotter or colder in your bedroom, sleep can be hard to come by. If you don’t have an AC unit and are experiencing torturous heat and humidity this summer, it’s time to pull out your bag of tricks for the family. Read on for some of the best tried and tested tips to cool the summer heat for a sweet night’s sleep!
- Chill Everything: Before bed, stick your PJs, pillowcase, sheets, anything that touches your body into the icebox for a few minutes.
- Fan + Ice Bag = AC: This is the old fashioned way to make air conditioning. Put a bag of ice in a bucket, set bucket on stool, place fan behind bucket and turn on. Presto! OK so it’s not as good as modern AC, but it’s better than nothing!
- Cold Shower: We find it’s easiest to start with a warm shower and towards the end make it progressively colder. By the end, give yourself a blast of chill to cool your body.
- Buckwheat or Rice Pillows: Who knew? Buckwheat and rice can keep you cooler than most conventional mattress and pillow fillings. If you’re not up for investing in a new pillow or mattress, try freezing a sock filled with rice for about an hour before bed. Stick the chilled rice sock in bed with you to cool you down. As another option, Cloud b sells Soothing Puppets with convenient hot/cold packs!
- Bedside Ice Bucket: This is great for when you wake up in the middle of night on fire and the sweat starts pouring. Stick an ice water bowl at your bedside and dip your feet in it each time you wake up. In the morning, recycle the water by hydrating your plants.
- Sleep Solo: While we love our partners dearly, they radiate heat (as do you) at night. When it’s just too hot, say farewell for the night and find your own resting ground.
- Backyard Camp: Without AC, it’s usually hotter inside than outside at night. Pull out the sleeping bags and take the sleeping party outside! Make an adventure of it for your kids with shadow puppets, bedtime stories and maybe a special bedtime snack (check out our quick and healthy bedtime snacks post for ideas).