It’s bad enough feeling completely exhausted, but it’s even worse when you hit the point that your well-intentioned husband or friend exclaims “You look awful!” — as if you didn’t know and you needed a reminder that you not only feel like a zombie, you look like one, too. Luckily, there are ways you can fake looking awake — and it doesn’t require drawing eyeballs on your eyelids. We checked with the pros and found the following 6 makeup tricks to help you look less sleep deprived.
1. Energize your epidermis. First things first, wake up your skin with a splash of cold water and then apply a tinted moisturizer. (Skip heavy foundations and powders that can end up looking mask-like.)
2. De-puffify. Yes, we made that word up, but extreme circumstances call for extreme measures and puffy eyes are a dead giveaway that you’re exhausted — or have been weeping uncontrollably (which can happen when you have raging new-mom hormones and you haven’t slept in days and you see a corny commercial). Anyway, deflate the puff by drinking plenty of water and putting something cold like cucumber slices or cold, wet teabags on your eyes for 5 minutes. (Maybe do one eye at a time so you don’t unintentionally fall asleep).
3. Conceal dark circles. Dark rings under the eyes are key facial feature of the modern mombie. Cover them up using a simple concealer. If they’re mild, try a liquid formula. For dark rings, bring out the big guns — solid cream or cake concealers.
4. Lengthen lashes and lighten eyes. Are you getting the sense that your eyes are the doorway to your sleep-deprived soul? They are. So, here are two more tips for making them look fake awake. First, lengthen lashes using an eyelash curler. Get as close to the lashline as you can and give a good squeeze for about 10 seconds. Then squeeze again on the outer lashes. After curling, apply one or two coats of a volumizing mascara. Next, lighten up your eyes by highlighting your brow bone and your inner eye with a shimmery, light shadow. Finally, use a classic makeup artist trick – use ivory or very pale pink eyeliner on the inner, lower rim of your lash line. It’s a simple trick of the eye (pun intended)!
5. Embrace blush and bronzer. Pale often equals sleepy, so pretend peppiness with a pick-me-up of blush or bronzer. Dab a little on the apples of your cheeks to give the effect that you’ve been on a healthy, brisk walk or enjoying a little sunshine – despite the reality of being buried in laundry at the beck and call of your beautiful baby.
6. Lead with the lips. If you don’t have time for a full makeup regimen, slap on a bright, bold lipstick. It’ll perk up your face when everything else is au naturale (and attract attention to your lips and away from your eyes)! Line your lips and daub off excess to avoid looking too “Mommie Dearest.” Swipe on some mascara and you’re good to go!
What are your makeup tricks to help you look less sleep deprived? Share them in the comments!