Did you know that some experts recommend that for a healthy relationship, couples should go on at least one date night per week? Sounds pretty nice until reality settles in and you remember how hard it is to leave young kids at bedtime, find a good babysitter, pay for the sitter, pay for the date, and find the energy to even get out of the house!
But, just because you’re not getting out, doesn’t mean you can’t have a date. Simply taking the time to focus on one another (instead of the TV or your computer) can do wonders for your relationship!
Here are 17 stay at home date ideas for after the kids go to sleep:
1. Have a candlelit dinner on your deck or in your backyard.
2. Have a “fancy” dinner by using your best china, wearing your best clothes, and setting a gorgeous table.
3. Play games – board games, card games, Wii games, whatever games you have!
4. Make a playlist of your favorite songs and dance together (just keep the volume down!).
5. Give each other massages.
6. Try cooking or baking something new together.
7. Exercise together.
8. Lay a blanket out in the yard, drink some wine, and stare at the stars. (If you can’t get outside, star-gaze indoors using our Twilight Turtle that projects real constellations onto the ceiling!)
9. Light a bunch of candles and take a bubble bath together.
10. Take a walk down memory lane by looking through old pictures, then write a bucket list of what you still hope to do together.
11. Go camping on your deck or in your backyard.
12. Find a record in Guinness Book of World Records and try to break it. You can either do it as a team or compete against one another.
13. Try meditating together.
14. Have an indoor picnic.
15. Get crafty. Try sculpting, painting, whittling, collaging – just make something!
16. Read a play together. You take half the parts, your partner takes the other half.
17. Create a mini golf course.
Whatever you choose, keep your attention on one another by turning off your phones, tablets, and computers. The only thing distracting you should be a crying baby (but hopefully that doesn’t happen! Help keep your kids asleep using Cloud b’s award-winning sleep aids!)
What are your ideas for stay at home dates after your kids’ bedtime? Share them in the comments!